5.6.11

you know my methods





Film stills: 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes'/Granada Television
I recently finished watching the television film series 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes', and I couldn't recommend it enough. Shamefully I admit to never having read an actual Sir Arthur Conan Doyle penned story. In primary school I had a really smart friend, one of those kids who's always kinda your constant competition, who was obsessed with Holmes & Dr. Watson. Perhaps that put me off. However with Jeremy Brett portraying the main character on the small screen I am converted, I may have to read a story quite soon just to compare his wicked portrayal of the detective to the written words. Aloof and eccentric, willful and oh so whippet sharp in thought & action Brett's Holmes is a force of nature. Gentlemen's fights, waterfall jumping, drug use, the supernatural... it's all there.

Including brilliant costumery. Deerstalkers & bowlers, twill & tweed, every layer of clothing down to the last detail is a lesson in gentlemen's dressing at the turn of the century. It provides a great visual feast. For those today adventurous enough to don the deerstalker:

1. Dual brims provide greater sun protection
2. Wear the side flaps down, even tied, to keep ears warm & protected from harsh moor winds
3. A red or orange and black checkered pattern will provide camouflage & hunter safety/blazin' colours
4. Perfect for trips out of the burbs', but a real gentleman wouldn't be seen wearing one in town

No comments:

Post a Comment