1.6.11

breakfast at tiffany's in cold blood

'Breakfast at Tiffany's'/1961/Blake Edwards
Recently while on a trip down south I read Truman Capote's 1966 book 'In Cold Blood'. The entire reason for the choice was because I have developed a small obsession with the Popular Penguin Books and first read 'Breakfast At Tiffany's' (also by Truman Capote) a while ago and absolutely loved it. Having seen the movie I remembered Audrey Hepburn as being very beautiful and vivacious, but that's it, I didn't recall much else - a bit of fluff. BUT in the novella it is the author's writing that is the star, the tight style I found to be precise, short yet very descriptive. It ties with the pace and tale so well.

(author scanned)
Back to point - I similarly loved his written style in 'In Cold Blood'. Interestingly it is considered a pioneer of the true crime genre, Capote actually spent 6 years researching the book, initially without really knowing if the case would unfold in a manner beneficial to story-telling. I found it riveting. First true crime book I've read - and I can say it did flow just like an episode of Law & Order. But not to belittle it, 'In Cold Blood' provides a very deep look into the workings of two pathological criminals & the resounding effects of a brutal tragedy.

I'll save the fascinating Mr. Capote himself for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment